Sticky Mango Pudding Cake by Marnely Rodriguez
Nothing says summer better than using the freshest fruits available and this cake screams summer.
Fresh mango slices soaked in buttermilk caramel and baked under a carpet of cake batter (with the mystery ingredient being mashed potatoes!) is a treat for friends and family. Serve with fresh mango slices, whipped cream, or indulge and top with ice cream!
Makes one 8 by 8 inch square cake (Serves 6-8)
• 1 cup orange juice
• 3/4 cup Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Flakes
• 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
• 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 large eggs, room temperature
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 mango, thinly sliced
For the Caramel:
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8 by 8 inch pan with vegetable oil. Cover thebottom of the pan with aluminum foil and grease again. Reserve.
- Simmer orange juice and whisk in Idaho® Spuds™ Classic Flakes. Let cool while making caramel.
- To make caramel: heat sugar and water over high heat until it turns golden brown. Quickly whisk in buttermilk and cool over ice bath. Set the mixture aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, vanilla and salt for 5 minutes, until the ingredients are light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, until incorporated.
- Add cooked Idaho® Spuds™ and let mix for 3 minutes.
- Sift in flour and baking powder, continue to mix until everything comes together.
- Place the mango slices on bottom of the cake pan and drizzle caramel over them. Pour cake batter on top, spreading evenly to all sides. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve alongside extra caramel sauce and fresh mango slices.
photography by Marnely Rodriguez-Murray